Shiplap is commonly used for accent walls and ceilings, but have you ever thought about using shiplap around your fireplace? Many people may not realize that shiplap is perfectly safe to install in your fireplace surround if you follow the correct safety codes.
Every state varies with its code for fire safety and surround materials. You’ll have to check your local code requirements first, but always follow the National Fire Code and the National Standard Building Code when remodeling or designing your home interior.
National Fire Code : NFPA 211
- This ordinance states that all combustible material (wood trim, framing, mantels etc.) must be at least 6 inches from the fireplace opening
- For every 1/8 inch of protruding combustible material, an extra inch of clearance is required
National Standard Building Code: 2114.3 Masonry-built Fireplaces 4114.3.10
- All combustible materials and trim must be at least 6 inches from the firebox opening.
- If more than 1 ½ inches (38mm) of material projects from the face of the fireplace, you will need additional clearance equal to the length of extension beyond 1 ½ inches.
- If above the fireplace there is more than 1 ½inches (38mm) of material projecting from the fireplace opening, you will need 12 inches of clearance from the top of the opening.
For maximum security, consider using a noncombustible material in your fireplace surround before adding shiplap. Many people will use tile, marble, stone, brick, or steel as surround materials directly around the fireplace opening for their gas or wood-burning fireplaces.
Take a look at some of the different shiplap fireplaces we think really nailed it.
Image c/o Ann Chessins Designs
Get this look: Timeless Farmhouse White
Image c/o Homes to Love
Get this look: Charred Wood Shiplap in Smoke White
Image c/o House of Turquoise
Get this look: Timeless Primed Shiplap
Image c/o Ashley Winn Designs
Get this look: Charred Wood Shiplap in Canyon Brown
Image c/o Apartment Therapy
Get this look: Weathered Wood Accent Boards
Get this look: Charred Wood Shiplap in Ash Gray.
Get this look: Timeless Farmhouse White Shiplap
Feeling inspired? Check out our shiplap collections to find the right look for your home fireplace and where to buy to find our UFP-Edge products at select retailers and online.
For tips on how to install shiplap, check out our video gallery for step by step instructions for each UFP-Edge shiplap collection.